Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dale Chihuly Flowers



 
 
 

Dale Chihuly

Flower/Jelly Fish


I LOVE Dale Chihuly! He is my FAVORITE ARTIST!! Maybe because his works are amazing or I always wanted to try glass making...I dunno but the kid love him! They will remember his name real quickly especially if you show them a picture of him. He looks like a pirate they say. lol. Well the month of January I focus on FORM. Now I major in sculpture and wanted to find something difficult but fun. So our first project was to create flowery abstract shape sculpture out of my favorite....coffee filters. I swear I use this material in everything...best and cheap thing to use! Well you might have seen this project somewhere but I did this using coffee filters and liquid water colors. This is the best because I filled cuts up with different colors and I had the kids use paint brushed and tie dye their coffee filters. Now I picked four colors so we didn't get out of hand and this is a big STRESS when you are filling cup up. STRESS: leave the brushes outside of the cups not in...cant tell you how many spills I had because the brush is heavier than the cup. Also the brush needs to be near the cup. Also serperate the color in corner of the table was easy....great way of not mixing the color brushes and it would be a mess cause they wouldn't be able to remember what brush they got it from blaah blaaah....just separate the color is all I can say. Also I had them use a paper plate under the coffee filter so they can travel around the table for different colors and it didn't get on the floor. Once they were done I took the coffee filter and rapped it around a foam cup with a rubber band. They sat over night and they form that really great shape. Also in these projects they tell you to spray corn starch...fist it stinks...so I tried it without it and believe it or not they actually stayed in the flowery position without corn starch so no I didn't not use it. After they dried I made a glitter paper and glued the flowers on the paper. Came out great and great wall hangers!

Material:

  • Coffee Filters
  • Paper Plates
  • Multi Color Liquid Water Color Paints
  • Paint Brushes






No comments:

Post a Comment