Saturday, December 8, 2012

Eric Carle Lesson (2nd Grade)

The Art of Eric Carle



 
This was my first lesson during my student teaching year. I love the artist Eric Carle!! During that year I was able to work with the 2nd graders and create my own lesson. I chose to work with color and who is the perfect artist for that but Eric Carle.
 
I read them two books, "The Art of Eric Carle" and "The Mixed Up Cameleon". These two books are perfect to show color and talk about how the artist creates his works. I talked about the jungle and what types of animals are out in the jungle. I printed out hand out of different types of jungle animals for reference. I then gave them paper and asked them to just draw the outline (Sharpe Marker) of a jungle animal  of thier choice, NO detail or coloring! They cut out thier animal. I then explained that the coloring we are using is not crayons but tissue paper like the artist. Now I found that it was a little dificult with the application for them but they did a great job. I did a demonstration of glueing the tissue paper down. (The glue: Elmers glue+water) They had a cup of glue, a brush, and tissue paper of their choice. They then brushed the glue on the animal paper and then applied the tissue paper. (I found that they were getting sticky hand and the tissue paper was sticking to thier fingers) Luckly we had sinks in our classroom so I told them to get a wet towel to wipe thier finger or I had them use plastic spoons to apply the tissue paper down (This is also good for student who has sensory issues). After the tisse paper was on they brushed the glue ontop of the tissue paper to seal it. They came out soooo good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment